Friday, 21 March 2014

As Old As You Feel.......

Do you know what I find difficult, working out what I should be wearing. I mean I have my own style that I love which I always default to but sometimes you wonder if you should be dressing differently when your over 50 than you did when you were say, 40. Im not boasting or anything .....honest....... but people are very surprised when they find out my age. They think Im in my late 30s which is great of course but does further confuse the issue of what I should be wearing.  Do you see my dilemma? Do I dress for the age people believe me to be or do I dress the way the stylists say you should when your over 50. Arggggg! I think I actually dressed quite old when I was in my early twenties, spending my wages on designer items and smart little suits and lovely high heeled shoes and the softest leather matching bags.  I think my style changed after I had my children. I went through the wilderness years of childrearing not really bothering with clothes much and then changed again as they entered their teens. I somehow found me again and renewed my interest in what I wore. I ran a small boutique for a few years and spent my days helping other women find outfits that suited their shape and colouring and I loved it but still never really felt sure of my own look. Maybe its just a lack of confidence in myself image. How do you feel about dressing for your age (and knees).?




 
 
 
 





These are my favourite looks today......

8 comments:

  1. So true and to further complicate things, I'm not really sure what IS. Age appropriate, what the fashion mags say and what real people think are two very different things !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sat here thinking on it Alexandra and I think it depends on what women wear, how they wear it and if it suits them. I don't like the "too done up" look - one thing I love about the way you dress is that you always look so relaxed and as if you have just thrown your outfit on, but in a good way. I have actually found myself taking on board Coco Chanel's words about taking one item off before you leave the house and it seems to help. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like me. I, too, ran a ladies clothes shop and found it easy dressing others but I was always in a pickle about myself. I think you are right. We lived through the 80's in our teens and then into the 90's in our 20's and I can honestly say that some outfits were scary and far too old looking. I think you dress how you feel comfortable with a bit of edge. As long as we stay away from really short mini skirts and sky high heels we are fine. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he!!!know what you mean about the sky high heels and mini skirts together...makes me shudder.

      Delete
  3. HI there! How are you today. I am going to be 46 this summer. I still wear shorter skirts, wear midi skirts, boyfriend jeans. etc I just wear what I like and what I feel accentuates my figure. I have a very small waist, so I try and show that of, and my mom says nice legs, but I have always worn skirts and dresses more than pants. I say, if you like some of the trends, incorporate them into your look somehow. I don't go by rules like I am 40, I cant wear a mini skirt, but again just try and accentuate what you like best about yourself. I dont want to be put into a box where I cant wear certain things, I have just found I like timeless classic pieces that stand the test of time anyway.
    stop by if you can
    jess www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with dressing for your body shape Jessica. I can love the different ways others put outfits together but have to keep in mind that I am a 5 ft 9 curvy hourglass with a big bottom. Sometimes you just have to step away from their look or see if you can adapt it for yourself.

      Delete
  4. We are all individuals, and personally although I don't believe their should be rules for age/size appropriate dressing.......I do think you have to ask yourself, am I really comfortable with this look, and if in doubt don't. However if it makes you feel great then go for it girl!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting points. I agree if you are comfortable and like how you look then wear it but its deciding on what you feel your "look" is that sometimes is the problem. The only way is trying on different things to see how they work and my favourite thing, Pinterest.......I love looking around the net and putting all my favourite looks into my own little corner. Sort of helps me work out what Im aiming for.

      Delete